How to Password Protect Directories Print this Article
Password protection of a directory requires visitors to enter a username and a password, which restricts access to certain parts of your website. This password process is also referred to as a type of “authentication” process.
While you use this feature, click the folder icon located next to the name of the directory to navigate the directories. Click on the name of the directory to select the directory for password protection.
Password protect a directory
To password protect your directory, perform the following steps:
- Select the directory in which you wish to begin to work.
- Click Go.
- From the list, select the directory you wish to protect.
Enter the name you would like visitors to see in the Name the protected directory text box.
- Click Save.
After you complete this process, you will need create a user and password in the Create User section of this interface.
Create a user
To create a user, perform the following steps:
- Enter the username, new password, and password confirmation in the appropriate boxes.
- Click Add/modify authorized user.
Remove a user
To delete password protection for a user, perform the following steps:
- Select the desired account name in the menu under the Authorized Users heading.
- While the name is highlighted, click the Delete User button to delete the account.
Remove password protection
To remove password protection from the directory, unselect Password protect this directory.
Was this answer helpful?
The IP Deny Manager feature allows you to block access to your site for one or more IP addresses....
A hotlink occurs when content from your site is embedded on another site and uses your bandwidth...
Leeching occurs when users publicly post their username and password to a restricted area of your...